Breakfast Pasta (Pasta Carbonara)

My house is never ever without bacon and eggs...ever! My family loves to eat bacon and eggs all the time. I often buy bacon in bulk at wholesale stores. Bacon is really affordable to cook with adding tons of flavor  and minimal meat to any dish.

I decided to make what we call "breakfast pasta" or Pasta Carbonara. I discovered that Tyler Florence has a great recipe online, AFTER I made this pasta. I just make up my own technique with whatever ingredients I have at home. To be honest, most of my meals are made up of whatever's available. Haha! I prefer this dish with spaghetti, but we had none. I hope you try this out. It's hearty and feeds four adults.

What you need:
          • 1 box              Pasta (spaghetti is best)
          • 1                    Onion (chopped)
          • 2                    Garlic cloves (chopped)
          • 1 c.                Shreaded/Grated Parmesan
          • 3/4                 Green peas (frozen is fine)
          • 8 slices           Bacon
          • 2                    Large egg yolks
          • 1 T.               Olive oil 
          • 1 t.                 Black pepper and salt 

Ingredients: Onion, garlic, grated parmesan  cheese, frozen peas, pasta, bacon, eggs.

Chop the onions and two cloves of garlic.

Chop bacon. Separate two egg yolks from whites; for sauce.

Pan fry chopped bacon until slightly crisp over medium heat, then add garlic and onion;
onions should become slightly translucent and will cook in the bacon fat. When translucent, lower the heat of the pan.

Pasta should be cooked same time as the bacon and onions. Drain pasta, toss with olive oil and set on side for a minute.
Be sure to reserve 1/4 cup of warm (not hot) pasta water which will be used to beat with only the egg yolks.
Add pasta to the bacon pan, then the egg mixture to the pasta in the pan.
Toss with 1 cup parmesan cheese, then toss with black pepper and salt to your taste. Add green peas which should have been prepared in the microwave.

Serve immediate and offer more parmesan for your guests to add. Enjoy!

Cost: $1.25 per serving.

XX





1 comment:

  1. I love pasta and that one would definitely great for a breakfast rush.

    Iced Coffee Recipe

    ReplyDelete